Commercial Manufacturing with Biostat STR® Generation 3 featuring Biobrain® Automation
The Biostat STR® Generation 3 single-use bioreactors come with the GMP compliant automation platform Biobrain® and a comprehensive suite of analytical tools. Ready for process intensification through integrated Repligen XCell ATF® Technology, the Biostat STR® can help enhance productivity, reduce footprint and lower COGs of your facility. The system can be used fully standalone or easily integrates into existing automation infrastructures and consistently delivers outstanding performance, quality, and productivity – supporting manufacturers as they bring safe, effective, and affordable life-changing biopharmaceuticals to market.
The modular design offers adaptability and reduces footprint while Media Control Hub organizes and saves space.
Single-use saves time and costs with faster turnaround, shorter changeovers, and less cleaning.
Flexsafe STR® bags are robust, biocompatible, and can be used with the Sartocheck® 4 Plus Bag Tester.
Recipe execution on Biobrain® and advanced process control with BioPAT® sensors ensure precision.
Single-use technology with integrated sensors and easy-to-install Flexsafe STR® bags save setup time.
Configurations & Components
Biostat STR® Generation 3 Configurations
Our Commerical Manufacturing solutions have been predesigned into two configurations with flexible options and easy upgrades. Select the configuration that best fits your current needs and can conveniently adapt to any future requirements.
Integrated Repligen XCell ATF® Technology
Media Control Hub for organizing pumps, balances, and feeds
Bagholder Surface Ra < 1.2µm, improved over previous model
pH and DO Sensor Redundancy (up to 4x pH + 4x DO)
Process Analytical Technologies (PAT) Toolbox
BioPAT® Trace glucose/lactate sensor
BioPAT® Viamass sensor for real-time viable cell density
Advanced Process Control
Vessel Level Control
Up to 5
Viamass Cell Bleed/Feed Control
Meets GMP standards GAMP 5, ISA 88 and OPC UA
Local Data Archive, Historical Trending & Batch Reporting
User Management & Audit Trail
IP Rating: IP65/NEMA 4x (Tower); IP54/NEMA 12 (Bagholder)
BioPAT® Foam single-use sensor with High Foam Alarm
Bag Lifting & Installation Device for 500 L, 1,000 L, and 2,000 L
Sartocheck® bag tester
Notes: - Always Included, o - Option
Adaptability for Diverse Processes
The stainless-steel bag holders host the single-use Flexsafe STR® bags across all sizes from 50L to 2,000L.
The bag holders are fully interchangeable with the control tower to flexibly adapt to changing process requirements by switching bag holder size
- Full jacket for optimal temperature control
- Integrated load cells and gas supply
- Improved Surface Finish (< 1.2 µm for improved cleanability in CM applications
- Bag lifting device available for simplified 500 L, 1,000 L and 2,000 L Flexsafe STR® bag installation
Superior Process Control
The control tower runs on Biobrain®, our automation platform to manage all process steps.
The control tower’s intuitive user interface Biobrain® enables advanced process control and automation while making bioreactor operation more streamlined.
- The control tower can be used interchangeably with any bag holder size.
- Easy configuration changes to meet changing process needs without additional hardware modifications
- GMP compliant with audit trail, user management, batch reporting and more
Improving Productivity & Minimizing Risk
Flexsafe STR® single-use cell culture bags deliver increased cell viability and higher cell density.
Flexsafe STR® bags are fully configurable to fit your process needs with multiple options for impeller, sparger and BioPAT® sensor technologies.
- Integrated single-use sensors for optical DO and pH, electrochemical pH as well as BioPAT® Viamass
- Multiple sparger and impeller options on a magnetically coupled center-line shaft
- Full control of the supply chain from raw material to bag assembly ensures superior quality and consistency
Excellent Organization & Connectivity
The Media Control Hub simplifies the set-up of complex feed strategies by providing storage and connectivity for pumps and balances.
It has a footprint of only 0.8 m2 but offers up to 3.2 m2 storage area. Pumps and balances can be connected directly to the Hub and controlled through Biobrain® at the control tower. Various accessories for organization of tubes and cable help maintain an organized workspace.
- Adjustable shelves and versatile cable and tubing management.
- Data and power connection for pumps and balances directly on the hub
- One data connection cable to the STR control tower & one electrical power connection to the mains supply
Simplified Perfusion Processes
The Biostat STR is available with fully integrated XCell ATF® Technology (ATF control hardware & software) for intensified processes.
This integration simplifies perfusion processes and ensures process intensification is faster, easier and more efficient. Installation, qualification, training and operation are more streamlined.
- All required hardware for control of XCell ATF® device fully integrated in the bag holder
- Operation of the XCell ATF® Device is done through the Biobrain® interface, no need for a separate control unit
- Easy and flexible set-up of intensified processes.
Focus On Enhanced Capabilities
Increase Facility Throughput
The Biostat STR® Generation 3 is ready for process intensification, increasing your facility’s potential. Full integration of Repligen XCell ATF® Technology eliminates the need for additional control hardware and simplifies perfusion process setup and control.
- Simplify with fully integrated XCell ATF® Device – meaning control seamlessly embedded into the Biobrain® automation platform
- Automate cell bleed and glucose feed control with BioPAT® Viamass and BioPAT® Trace
- Connect cell retention devices and advanced sensors to highly configurable Flexsafe STR® bags
Maintain Real-Time Monitoring
From viable cell mass to off-gas analysis, enhance process understanding and control through BioPAT® sensor technologies. BioPAT® sensors enable sophisticated process monitoring for the Biostat STR® online and in real time.
- Analyze viable cell mass and gain advanced feed and bleed control with BioPAT® Viamass
- Measure glucose and lactate concentration and automate nutrient feeds with BioPAT® Trace
- Analyze oxygen and carbon dioxide concentrations with BioPAT® Xgas for precise understanding of culture metabolism
- Monitor foam level in the bioreactor with BioPAT® Foam, knowing alarms will notify of potential filter blockage
Keep the Workspace Clean
The Media Control Hub organizes feeds, pumps and balances to automate complex processes while maintaining a clean and efficient workspace.
- Tap into power and data connectivity for pumps and balances at the Media Control Hub
- Monitor pump control and balance read-out through the Biobrain® interface at the control tower
- Organize accessories such as cable guides and tube holders for a clean process setup
- Optimize space through small footprint
Biobrain® Automation Platform
Control and Automate Every Process
The Biostat STR® 3 runs on Biobrain®, a GMP-compliant automation platform enabling advanced process monitoring and control.
- Comply with industry standards GAMP 5, ISA 88 and OPC UA
- Be GMP-ready with one year of data storage, archiving, audit trail and batch reporting
- Execute automated processes with local recipe control based on ANSI-88 compliant process automation
- Benefit from native connectivity to BioPAT® MFCS4 for enhanced process automation and control
- Interface with your data historian, external SCADA, or DCS systems
- Enjoy ease-of-use with the modern, intuitive Biobrain® HMI
Data Driven Software Applications to Improve Productivity
Biostat STR® is available with a comprehensive suite of advanced analytical tools and data-driven software, including BioPAT® MFCS software for enhanced process automation and SIMCA® for advanced multivariate data analysis. The recently launched BioPAT® Process Insights software offers simplified, predictive bioreactor scale-up and scale-down to reduce risk and development timelines.
Monitor Your Process Data
BioPAT® MFCS4 is the SCADA software for reliable data acquisition, monitoring, and control in bioprocess applications. It provides flexible plug-and-play connectivity with Biostat STR® 3 and offers calculations, sample logging, trend monitoring, and advanced recipe control.
Explore BioPAT® MFCS4
Discover Trends in Your Process Data
SIMCA® Multivariate Data Analysis software is the benchmark data analytics tool for scientists, engineers, product developers, and others striving to gain information from massive quantities of complex data. SIMCA®-online monitors production processes in real-time to give early warning of process anomalies that could affect the final product.
Explore SIMCA® MVDA Software
De-Risk Parameter Transfer Workflow
BioPAT® Process Insights software provides biomanufacturers with predictive scaling capabilities to help mitigate risk and shorten timelines. Powerful modelling of process parameters is supported by extensive bioreactor characterization data from Ambr® 250 to Biostat STR® 2,000 L.
Explore BioPAT® Process Insights