Lab Balance Connectivity for Cubis® II
Sartorius lab balances can be connected to Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN)/Laboratory Information Management (LIMS) databases to ensure data integrity. With this connection, balances can directly send reports inclusive checksum to the ELN or LIMS systems without the assistance of middleware.
While deep-level integration (based on customer-specific programming) in general requires a customized interface, transmission of for example CSV or PDF files to ELN/LIMS is an on-board feature, available to users right out of the box.
Key benefits of integrating Cubis® II lab balances into your LIMS or ELN include the following:
- Data quality maintained by elimination of manual data transcription errors
- Increased operational efficiency and productivity
- Central data storage
- Lab managers can review transferred, non-modified data in the system
- Full compliance with 21 CFR Part 11 and EU Annex 11
Means of Support
Cubis® II supports integration of your lab instrument with your LIMS and/or ELN in the following ways:
- Interfaces - To help enhance productivity and efficiency in your laboratory, the Cubis® II MCA interface allows communication via standard ports (RS232, USB A, USB B, USB C and Ethernet) by different communication protocols (SBI, SICS, miniSICS and Webservices).
- Configurable Printout - The Cubis® II allows you to configure printouts. In the GLP header and footer, printed parameters and their order can be defined. Using a Sartorius YDP30 printer also allows you to print barcodes and QR codes. Printing via network printer or WIFI-connected YDP30 printer is also possible.
- Data storage – Transfer settings between Cubis® balances by exporting and importing settings files. Create backup files to restore a balance if necessary. Export the audit trail and Alibi Memory for reviewing actions and weighing raw data.
Lab Balance Connectivity Protocols
Regardless of communication protocols, we offer viable solutions. Different software connectors allow easy data exchange over Ethernet.
- File transfer in text, PDF or other formats to an FTP or windows file server (SMB).
- Cubis® II is standard equipped to support ASCII, SICS and REST communication protocols, allowing bidirectional data transfer to LIMS. Have your balance communicate with other manufacturers’ software.
Ingenix Suite Desktop Software
Next to the direct integration of your Cubis® II Balances into an existing ELN/LIMS system, you can also opt to manage your balance fleet and weighing data with our standalone Ingenix Suite. Works with or without an existing ELN/LIMS system on site. The choice is yours.
Cubis® II Connectivity Partners
Our secure and reliable connectivity solutions have led to many beneficial partnerships within the research and QC industries – among others.
Easy plug-and-play integration of the Cubis® II into STARLIMS™ for maximum compliance and efficient paperless documentation. An essential task to reduce the need for manual recording is direct instrument integration, which negates the potential for errors, gives back operator time, and reduces data redundancy. Sartorius has developed a solution that makes it easy to integrate Sartorius Cubis® II into STARLIMS™ offering customized comprehensive laboratory workflows with a plug-and-play connection via recognized IT standards and sufficient protection against data integrity problems.
Cubis® II is now part of Metrohm Omnis analytical software system. With the new software release (available May 2020) Cubis® II now is a full member of the Metrohm OMNIS analytical platform. Omnis is a user- and application friendly analytical software platform, focusing on what matters (sample-batch-approach), reducing errors (self-monitoring, alerts and system checks) and ensuring a high level of regulatory compliance (21 CFR Part 11; EudraLex, Volume 4, Annex 11).
Cubis® II Connectivity Examples
- Data Security and Integrity - Cubis® II not only sends measurement results to OMNIS, but also complete metadata for every weighing-in or weighing-out performed on the balance. When integrated into a local network, encryption of exchanged data ensures the highest standards of data integrity and security are continuously met.
- Central User Management - User administration for the Cubis® II balance is managed and verified centrally in OMNIS, and a complete Audit Trail of all events on the balance is recorded. All requirements regarding regulatory compliance (FDA and EurdraLex) are fully met with this user management system.
- Maximum Efficiency - The weighing-in or weighing-out of a sample or complete sample series can be started right from the balance – without the need to start OMNIS. Tolerance limits regarding sample weights are graphically represented on the display of the balance. When part of a local network, several OMNIS clients can access the same Cubis® II balance.
- Direct Instrument Integration - An essential task to reduce the need for manual recording is direct instrument integration, which negates potential for errors, gives back operator time and reduces data redundancy. Abbott Informatics and Sartorius have developed a solution that makes it easy to integrate Sartorius Cubis® II into STARLIMS™, offering customized comprehensive laboratory workflows with a plug-and-play connection via recognized IT standards - and sufficient protection against data integrity problems.
- Standard Preparation and pH Measurement - Wireless pH measurement is now fully possible with Cubis II flexible connectivity options and full pharma compliance. The software application Sampling with IDS Sensor is used to record and report a series of samples (generally liquids or solvents). Each sample consists of an ID and (optionally) a weight. Additionally, measured values (e.g. the pH value) from a connected IDS sensor can be acquired and added to each sample. The Cubis MCA balance can communicate with an IDS sensor via the IDS Gate, which must be in the same network. Tagged values stored internally inside the IDS system can also be read and reported by this application. The software application QAPP001 (Cubis® II) is designed for preparing reference standards. The software application guides the user through the weighing process and calculates necessary component amounts according to desired sample volume. Based on the effectively measured sample weights, the solvent volume to be added is automatically adjusted by the software. Finally, verified sample concentration and volume are calculated. There is no longer a risk of error prone calculations during preparation of reference standards.