Supported migration of database and settings between SIMCA®-online versions (Q801)
The information in this article applies to:
When Umetrics releases a new version of SIMCA®-online we strive to support the migration of data from the old version to the new, so that existing data carries over to the new release.
Since our customers typically have internal processes that require validation of new software and want to run both the old and new version at the same time, we normally don't support direct and automatic upgrading of previous versions (which would remove the previous version so that it no longer remains on the server).
Instead we have documented the manual process of copying and migrating the database and other files, and this is the topic of this article.
Note: This article can of course also be used to migrate the database to the same version of SIMCA®-online on another server computer.
Note: If there isn't a supported migration path between two versions, SIMCA® projects have to be manually uploaded to the new server, and exported configurations in BCG format (from the old server) imported and repredicted. See the SIMCA®-online Technical Guide for details.
This section shows how to migrate the server and client data between versions.
Important: Before attempting these procedure, verify that the there is a documented migration path between the versions, by reading the knowledge base article for the version you are migrating to. Also ensure you have good backups of the old server data.
- Migration from a new version to an old version is almost never possible.
- For major releases, such as when going from SIMCA®-Batch On-Line 3.4 to 13.0 there typically are no migration paths, because of major technology changes (such as switching from SIMCA®-P+ 12 to SIMCA® 13 in the offline model making process).
- For small and optional patches, such as the SIMCA®-online 13.1.1 patch, on the other hand, there is a direct upgrade from SIMCA®-online 13.1 because the changes are few, and the upgrade is optional. If there is a direct upgrade possible, it is always documented in the knowledgebase article for that version.
Server data migration
This section covers server-side migration of ;
- Server settings (such as Active Directory settings and log level)
- The Database directory (containing users, groups, projects, and configurations including all predictions).
Here is how you migrate:
- Decide where to install the new version. Umetrics recommends one Umetrics server per server computer. See the SIMCA®-online Technical Guide for details.
- Install the new version and request and import a license file for it (a license for an older version won't work). Also include all required SimApis.
- Make sure the new installation works: Test reading data from the data source using File > Extract in the SIMCA®-online client.
- Stop the old and new SIMCA®-online services.
- Locate the server configuration files, SIMCA®onlineserver.ini, of both the old and new installation. To see that path to this file, use the SIMCA®-online Server Options utility.
- Migrate settings: Open the old configuration file in a text editor, copy its contents over to the new file.
- You must update all paths in the new file to point to the correct locations on the new server.
- Migrate the database directory. Too see the path to this directory, use the SIMCA®-online Server Options utility.
- Empty the new server's Database directory.
- Copy the contents of the old server's entire Database folder including all sub folders and files to the new server.
- Start the new servers SIMCA®-online service.
- Connect to it with a client and log on as one the users on the old server.
Client data migration
Umetrics does not support migration of client-side settings between versions. These settings have to be made on each new client by replicating settings manually. Client settings include plot settings affecting the styles used in the plots, and the settings in File > SIMCA®-online Options.