Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A. Investor Relations
A Trusted Partner for the Biopharmaceutical Industry and Laboratories
Sartorius Stedim Biotech is a leading international partner for the biopharma sector. Our solutions are supporting our customers to develop and produce drugs safely, timely and economically. The Group has been annually growing by double digits on average and has been regularly expanding its portfolio by acquisitions of complementary technologies.
Seven reasons to invest
- Clear focus on the attractive biopharma sector
- Long-term growth drivers and significant market entrance barriers
- Market leading position in key technologies and recognized brand
- High share of recurring revenue as well as diversified earnings base
- Strong presence in growth regions
- Proven track record with alliances and acquisitions
- High continuity with respect to customer base, employees and management
Sartorius Stedim Biotech | Preliminary Full-Year 2019 Results
- Group sales revenue up 17.0% in constant currencies; underlying EBITDA margin up 1.1 percentage point to 29.3%
- Dynamic development based on strong demand across all product categories and geographies
- Number of employees grew by 10% to more than 6,200
- Positive outlook for 2020: Sales revenue expected to rise 11% to 14% in constant currencies with further increase in profitability
Sartorius Stedim Biotech Group | Conference Call Preliminary Full-Year 2019 Results
The Sartorius Stedim Biotech Group will publish its preliminary full-year 2019 results on January 28, 2020, at 7 a.m. CET. Dr. Joachim Kreuzburg, CEO, will discuss the results with analysts and investors at 3.30 p.m. CET.
To register for the teleconference, please use the following link:
Alternatively, you can dial into the teleconference, without registering, at:
+49 (0) 69 566 03 7000
The presentation will be accessible through our website that day, 3.15 p.m. CET, at:
Strategy and Targets for 2025
Sartorius Stedim Biotech’s goal is to continue its profitable growth and systematically expand its position as a leading international partner for biopharmaceutical research and the industry. We are pursuing various strategic initiatives to grow sustainably up to 2025 – and beyond.
- Achieve consolidated sales revenue of around 2.8 billion euros
- Increase underlying EBITDA margin1) to around 30%
1) Sartorius Stedim Biotech uses underlying EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization; adjusted for extraordinary items) as the key profitability indicator.
We focus in both divisions on the attractive biopharmaceutical market characterized by long‑term and stable growth trends.
Key Growth Drivers
- Growing world population
- Increasing incomes and better access to healthcare services in emerging economies
- Aging population and rise in age-related diseases in industrialized countries
Medical progress is also fueling growth, resulting in the ongoing development and approval of new biopharmaceuticals and in the improvement or expansion of indications for already existing active pharmaceutical ingredients. Therefore, a growing number of biotech medications are being approved for treatment of rare diseases considered incurable until now, and innovative cell and gene therapies are projected to further drive growth in the biopharma sector.
Sartorius Stedim Biotech has leading market positions in core technologies and is continuously expanding its portfolio by new, complementary technologies that help our biopharma customers develop and manufacture medications faster and more easily. Our strength in selecting suitable partners or acquisition candidates is based upon our in-depth understanding of applications. We are thoroughly familiar with our customers’ requirements and their entire value-added chains, and particularly understand the interactivity of the systems they use. Our innovation strategy is based on three pillars:
- Integration of innovations through acquisitions
- Alliances with partners
- Own product development
North America and selected countries in Asia are at the focus of our growth strategy.
North America is the world’s largest market for both the development and the manufacture of biopharmaceuticals. Because North America is home to the main competitors for both company divisions, Sartorius Stedim Biotech has historically lower market shares in this region than in Europe and Asia. Accordingly, the company is striving to gain market share, primarily by strengthening its sales and service capacities.
Our second regional focus is on Asia, especially on China, South Korea and India. These markets have tremendous growth potential due to their increased healthcare spending by private households and governments. In these regions, Sartorius Stedim Biotech has invested in its sales infrastructure and is planning to expand its production capacities.
Moreover, we are investing in the digitalization of our processes. In addition, we have substantially expanded our production capacities, above all for filter and bag products.
For fiscal 2020, the management of Sartorius Stedim Biotech anticipates continued profitable growth. Consolidated sales revenue is projected to increase by 11% to 14%, with Biological Industries contributing about two percentage points to this growth. With respect to profitability, the company's underlying EBITDA margin1) is expected to rise to 29.5%. The CAPEX ratio1) is projected to be around 8% (previous year: 9.4%).
The above forecast does not consider the acquisition of select Danaher life science platform business, which was announced on October 21, 2019, and is currently undergoing antitrust clearance. Following the closing of this transaction, presently expected around the end of the first quarter of 2020, management will adjust its full-year guidance accordingly.
All forecasts are based on constant currencies, as in the past years.
1) Sartorius Stedim Biotech publishes alternative performance measures that are not defined by international accounting standards. These are determined with the aim of improving the comparability of business performance over time and within the industry.
- Underlying EBITDA: earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization and adjusted for extraordinary items
- Order intake: all customer orders contractually concluded during the respective reporting period
- Underlying net profit: profit for the period after non-controlling interest; adjusted for extraordinary items and non-cash amortization, as well as based on a normalized financial result and tax rate
- Underlying earnings per share: relevant net profit for the period divided by the number of shares outstanding (92,180,190)
- CAPEX ratio: investment payments in relation to sales revenue for the same period. Since 2019 and as a result of the change in IFRS 16 accounting principles, CAPEX has been based on cash flow instead of balance sheet computation; CAPEX ratio restated: 14.6% for FY 2018
Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A. is the parent company of the Sartorius Stedim Biotech Group. It is headquartered in Aubagne, France, and listed on the Euronext Paris.
Approximately 74% of the share capital and around 85% of the voting rights of Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A. are held by Sartorius AG. Sartorius AG is a leading international bioprocess and laboratory equipment and technology provider headquartered in Göttingen, Germany, and listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange. It operates two divisions: the bioprocess business as a subgroup under its parent corporation Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A. and the laboratory business as a further subgroup.
Preliminary Full-Year 2019 Results
January 28, 2020
Nine-Month Results January to September 2019
October 21, 2019
Half-Year 2019 Results
July 19, 2019
First-Quarter Results January to March 2019
April 18, 2019